Massage Therapy in OKC
Whether you seeking relaxation massage or therapeutic massage, BodyTrends Massage in Oklahoma City is massage at its very best. Our Massage Therapists are all certified, well-trained, experienced and are highly motivated to give you the best massage in OKC available and to make you want to become a regular client for your massage needs.
What is Massage?
Massage is a therapeutic discipline involving the manipulation of muscles, joints, tendons, bones and other body structures with pressure (static or dynamic), tension, motion or vibration to facilitate relaxation, to relieve tension, to improve circulation and to improve function. The discipline dates back to ancient civilizations. It was introduced in the United States in the mid 19th century by two physicians in New York. In 1996, Massage was introduced as a core medical service at the Summer Olympics in Atlanta. Practitioners of massage are primarily Massage therapists, but may also include athletic trainers and physical therapist.
The medical and physical benefits of massage are becoming clearer and clearer. Massage facilitates relaxation and can relieve stress and anxiety. It can lower blood pressure on a temporary basis and can improve circulation. It can relieve spasm in muscles and reduce the pain associated with it. It can strengthen immunity, particularly with the use of essential oils and aromatherapy, and be an essential component of rehabilitation after musculo-skeletal injury or surgery. It can also be a useful adjunctive treatment for tension headaches. There are also scientific studies which suggest therapeutic benefits of massage in a variety of other medical conditions including allergies, depression, anxiety, asthma, arthritis, carpal tunnel, insomnia, TMJ Disorder, Chronic Fatigue syndrome, and fibromyalgia.
Massage should be avoided with open sores, communicable diseases, skin infections, bleeding disorders, blood thinners, bones weakened from cancer or osteoporosis, and fever.
Massage at BodyTrends
There are at least 85 recognized types of Massage modalities, the choice of which are determined by demand and perceived clinical effectiveness. At BodyTrends, we offer several massage styles including:
Cranial Sacral Massage - or cranio-sacral therapy is the gentle massage form that deals with the movement of fluid around the the skull and spinal column, and helping to re-align the structures of the skin and skull to releave pressure on nerves. This is an excellent choice for people with migraine and tension-headache and TMJ disorder.
Shiatsu Massage - is a Japanese traditional massage which employs the use of pressure applied by the thumbs, fingers and palms to specific energy meridians and employs stretching motions.
Swedish Massage - uses 5 styles of long, flowing strokes in the direction of the blood flow to the heart : effleurage (gliding), petrissage (kneading), tapotement (tapping), friction and vibration. Swedish has been shown to reduce pain, joint stiffness, and to improve function in patients with knee arthritis, such that it may have similar benefit to other types of joint problems. Its real benefit may be to eliminate muscle toxin, improving circulation and oxygenation, and easing tension.
Deep Tissue Massage – is a full-body massage employing the use of deep pressure throughout. The massage targets the deeper layers of muscles beneath the ones which are superficial. This is an excellent choice for individuals who experience consistent pain, are involved in heavy physical activity, and patients who have sustained physical injury. This intense massage is used to relieve severe tension in the muscle or to release the connective tissue or fascia layers.
Reflexology Massage - is an integrated medicine or natural healing art involving the physical act of applying pressure to the feet and hands with specific finger, thumb or hand technique and without the use of oil or lotion. It is based on the belief that connections to every organ and organ system are present on the hand and feet.
Sports Massage – is a specialized massage technique geared toward athletes, from the occasional week-end warrior to the experienced or professional athlete. The massage may enhance athletic performance and prevent injury.
Pregnancy Massage - or prenatal massage addresses the specific issues related to pregnant women. The positioning and strategy of the massage will depend on the trimester and size. Most often, it is employed to alleviate backaches, cramps, and swelling that occur during pregnancy. High-risk Pregnancy patients should consult with their physicians before considering massage. We also offer Post-natal massage which has obvious restorative and therapeutic benefits after delivery.
Hot Stones Massage - uses water-heated, polished river stones to apply pressure and heat to specific areas of the body. This is an excellent choice for back patients, where the heat and pressure applied to muscles in spasm can be relieved.
Geriatric Massage - is a specialty massage attuned to the special needs of people over 65. This massage style is customized, and has particular focus to arthritis and muscle spasm in the back and neck.
Chair Massage - is an ideal massage for a quick detour to relaxation for the person on-the-go or the business professional. Although his type of massage can be done at BodyTrends, we can also bring the “show” to your business or workplace. Just call and we can set it up!!!
Couples Massage - is BodyTrends’ answer to therapy for a healthy body, mind, soul and relationship. There is no better way for a couple to ‘bond’ or to celebrate togetherness than relaxing together with light and deep strokes by two massage therapists.
The Benefits of Regular Massage
We see the immeasurable benefit of regular massage in a persons health and wellness program. Not only is stress kept at a minimum, but the alignment and proper function of the joints and spine are more easily maintained, leading to optimal health. At BodyTrends, we make it easy to obtaining regular massage by offering treatment packages to you at reduced cost.
Call BodyTrends today or Contact BodyTrends for more info and start yourself on the road to relaxation and better health
Massage Etiquette & Spa Etiquette
For first-time massage clients, having questions about the massage experience is normal, here are some frequently asked questions.
Should I completely disrobe for my massage?
It is normal & acceptable to completely disrobe for your massage; however if you are uncomfortable, you may leave your underwear on. You will be covered with the linen sheet or drape at all times except the body area being worked on.
How should I prepare for my Massage visit? What should I expect?
Arrive 5-10minutes early to fill out a brief medical history form. This form asks for basic information, but also has areas dealing with medical information that may affect your massage. The therapist will review this information with you before the massage.
The therapist will leave the massage room and allow you to undress to your level of comfort and place yourself under the linen sheet. The therapist will enter the room, and the massage will begin. There may be soothing music playing, no music at all or there can be conversation, depending on what your preferences are and what makes you most comfortable.
It is important to Communicate with your therapist .If the pressure is too deep, or too light, let the therapist know, so as to adjust pressure to your comfort level.
Should I tip my therapist?
Gratuity is not required at BodyTrends, but it is greatly appreciated. Tips actually stands for "To Insure Proper Service", but for most people, it is the clients way of thanking the therapist for a job well done. The amount is typically as you would in a restaurant, but is up to the individual client.
Relax, and enjoy....snoring is optional
Other Etiquette Suggestions
- Shower before your massage. A shower can not only relax your muscles and make your massage more enjoyable, but it can also make the massage easier to perform by the therapist.
- Show up on time. Showing up late potentially cuts into the time necessary for your complete massage. If you cannot make your appointment, please call to cancel and reschedule. Some therapists invoke a cancellation fee if not informed of the cancellation at least 24 hours before. Cancellation ahead of time allows the accommodation of others client waiting for massage.
- Turn off Cell phones and pagers. Cell phones and pagers, although necessary instruments of communication these days, can be serious distraction when they sound off, and can abruptly kill the relaxation mood that is set. Take a break from the hustle-and-bustle of life, and the electronic gadgetry, and get the most out of your massage time.
- Customary tipping for Massage is 15-20%. Just like in a restaurant, Gratuity is optional and is a reflection of how much you valued your service. Please know that the massage therapist usually receives a small fraction of the massage price, so any tipping is greatly appreciated, and they are motivated to do the best job possible.
- Scheduling Massage and Facials together: If two treatments are scheduled in the same day, the body treatment (the Massage) should precede the Facial treatment.
- Appropriate Behavior: Although this is not an issue for most massage clients, rules of appropriate behavior are strictly enforced. Therapeutic Massage is a respectable field, requiring licensing or certification in most states. At no time is any inappropriate behavior that is sexual in nature tolerated, under any circumstances. Knowing this will allow anyone not familiar with massage practices to be comfortable and to feel safe while in the care of a competent massage therapist.
- Couples Massage: Getting Massages as a Couple is becoming more popular. It is a very inventive way to relax with someone special. The massage are done in tandem with table distances relative close. The massages performed may be identical, may be reciprocal, may be 4-hand and alternating, or any combination. All of the etiquette rules of regular massage apply here.